Saturday 13 October 2012

Back to School


So, this week I went back to school. But instead of having to remember my homework and P.E. kit I had to remember the names of 30 kids and the names of 2D shapes (how many sides does a hexagon have again?). Welcome to the life of a teaching assistant. 

So how has my first week been?

Educational.

I have learned that my reception teacher’s catch phrase of “Don’t knock me I’m not a door” is a completely valid phrase to use when working with children.

I have learned that despite being relatively well educated (or atleast I made it through The System with no major problems) I don’t actually know the basic rules of grammar. I can use (most of) them and I choose to ignore several, but I don’t actually know the rules – this is kind of a problem when you’re expected to help others learn them.

I have learned that its harder to remember the names  

I have learned that I need to listen when the teacher gives instructions. 

I have learned race is something 6 and 7 years old discuss, and one of the first questions they’ll ask you (just because one is not white does not mean that one is not English yeah).

I have learned that I need to seperate my wardrobe into clothes that are nice but not too nice for school (just incase some kid throws up on me – paranoid much? Not me)

I have learned that male primary school teachers are human too (who ever would have thought).

I have learned that teaching would be much easier with less children or more adults.

I have learned that I am in danger of turning into my mother sooner than I thought – my mother has been a teaching assistant for over ten years and I'm finding myself using some of her favourite phrases.

I have learned that you should never judge a job by your first day.

I have learned that I need to find where I left my angry voice (somewhere in 2008 I think).

I have learned that I never want to be a teacher. If I ever tell you I want to be a teacher please ask for the real Rachel to please stand up because I have clearly been abducted and replaced by my stepford wife replacement.

As you can see – it’s been educational.

Am I looking forward to next week? I’ll let you know Sunday evening.

1 comment: