Sunday 2 September 2012

Hope


I’ve been thinking a lot about hope lately.

These three things will remain: faith, hope and love – and the greatest of these is love. 1 Corinthians 13 v 13 

I don’t think I’ve ever really full-on hoped for something with every fibre of my being. Sure there’s been things that I’ve wanted, but I’ve always known I would be ok if I didn’t get them.

So I've never completely understood why hope was in there.

Until recently.

A youth-worker friend was telling me about the hopelessness of some of the youth she works with: “They don’t know what they want to do in the future, they have no plans, no hope in doing anything other than live off benefits.”

Another friend who works for a small charity said similar things about some of the clients she sees: “Some of our clients have no intention of doing anything to change their circumstances, they have no hope that anything they do will change their situation.”


hope·less

adj \ˈhō-pləs\

Definition of HOPELESS

a : having no expectation of good or success : despairingb : not susceptible to remedy or curec : incapable of redemption or improvement
2
a : giving no ground for hope : desperateb : incapable of solution, management, or accomplishment :impossible
— hope·less·ness noun
There are many people with no hope that their situation will change. No hope that they can change their situation. They are hopeless.

Hope is what keeps us going in the toughest of situations - hope that it can and will get better.

Hope is what motivates us to try and change our situation - hope that we can do it.

Hope deferred makes the heart sick, but a longing fulfilled is a tree of life – Proverbs 13 v 12

But hope is what so many people are lacking. 

So in order to serve those who find themselves in need, whether spiritually, emotionally or physically, maybe what we need to do is reinvigorate hope.

How do we do this? Answers on a postcard please.



1 comment:

  1. I've been asking that question since the first week of DTS almost 2 years ago. And I have found that I've only been able to answer it on specific levels. Like, "How do I integrate hope into THIS..." rather than in general. It's when I look at the smaller things I do and try to figure out how to turn them to inspire hope, that I come a hair closer to understanding it on a mass level and I'm not even close. But it's changed the way I write songs, do projects, write blogs, mentor, do art, and more. That's my 2 cents

    Excellent blog post.

    ReplyDelete