Sunday 5 August 2012

London 2012


I am loving the Olympics right now.

Loving the drama. Loving how London’s transport system seems to be holding up and loving the nice shiny bling that Team GB seem to be rapidly collecting. Who knew that we could actually win stuff?! Look at our recent contenders: men's football in Euro 2012 - we never seem to win at football; Andy Murray at Wimbledon – please, as if his gruff British self could match up the effortless Swiss elegance of Rog. But maybe today is his day. Go Team GB!

But I’ve just discovered that we Brits have a history of being good at rowing and cycling. I thought Steve Redgrave and Chris Hoy were one-off freak successes - apparently not (I'd never heard of Bradley Wiggins before he won the Tour de France but rumour has it that he's actually won quite a few Olympic golds). I've also discovered that we finished fourth in the Beijing medal table – and given that the top two were China and the USA who we could never match, that’s not too bad.

I must admit that during the Olympics I suddenly start claiming my Jamaican heritage. Not that I'm a glory hunter and love a celebration or anything. I hear there's gonna be some good 50 years of independence parties too. Go Jamaica!

I think it was the 2000 Sydney Olympics that made me an Olympics fan. When else can you watch swimming, fencing, handball, hockey, tennis, football, shooting, archery, gymnastics, weightlifting, rowing, cycling  and a million more sports all in the space of a couple of hours and all from the comfort of your own home? Five Points the BBC for putting it all online. The Olympics is pretty much the one time every four years that I actually care about sport.

I am loving seeing the shades of Wimbledon polluted with colour, life and music. Some of the AELTC members are probably crying themselves to sleep.

I also love that on the one year anniversary of the start of the riots we had the best night in British Athletics. Five points to Jessica Ennis, Greg Rutherford and Mo Farah for giving us a night to be proud of.  (Although why I’m proud of complete strangers just because they happen to be the same nationality as me is a mystery).

One thing I'm not loving - how Will & Kate managed to get tickets for everything. What was that? Did someone say rigged ballot? Surely not.

All in all I’m loving London 2012. Team GB for the win!

No comments:

Post a Comment