Friday 30 September 2011

What Rachel Did Next


So, it’s been an interesting year. The first six/seven months –Fun Times. The last five months – less of the fun and less of the sun (did we even have summer this year?).

Don’t get me wrong, it’s been great to be home and see everyone that I missed while I was away. But since then it’s been fairly average. I’ve spent most of the so-called summer filling in job applications and receiving emails telling me I’m not qualified/experienced enough to do whatever job it was I applied to.

Ever been unemployed? Then you’ll understand my pain – trying to find motivation to fill in another form, being too lazy to read the Job Description and skipping straight to the Person Spec, feeling guilty for any time not spent job hunting, finding inventive ways of avoiding answering the dreaded question of “don’t you have a job yet?” (My favourites – jumping out of a window, or [if you’re not on a ground floor] pretending you haven’t heard and start asking them if that’s their car being towed), wondering if you should abandon your values and apply for a job as a manager of a Nike store, wondering if you should have sent in the application to be London Met Commissioner as you don’t think the current candidates will be any better than the previous ones and wondering why the media keep finding new statistics about high rates of graduate unemployment.

But back to my main point – it’s been an interesting year:
  •  September 26th 2010 -  the official start of DTS lecture phase (if you wanna know what I’m talking about and have a serious amount of time on your hands then read this: www.rachelgoestonz.blogspot.com)
  • September 26th 2011 – the official start of my working life as an intern for the Foodbank Network. (Farewell unemployment, hello having to set an alarm to wake up before the sun)
  • September 26th 2012 – the official start of my reign as world CEO? Intern to world domination in one year? Easily achievable
Interesting times. And its about to get even more interesting. As of next week I start a programme called Mission Year (www.missionyear.org.uk).

Mission Year (MY) is a framework equipping Christians to live in community with others, to serve the local church and to reach their neighbourhood. MY participants work with a number of ministries tackling social exclusion in areas of high social deprivation.

And so, in a few weeks I’ll be moving to Bethnal Green, East London, to live with three other MY participants. I am super excited about being part of an inner-city community where there is such a desperate need for Jesus. As part of MY I will be working, as an intern, with the Foodbank Network four days a week.

The Foodbank Network is a Christian charity that provides emergency three-day supplies of food to those in the UK who due to some kind of crisis, such as benefit delay, unexpected bills, illness etc, are without any food, or the means of getting any food for the next few days.

Clients are identified by frontline care professionals, such as social workers and Doctors, and given a voucher which they take to their local Foodbank and exchange for a three-day supply of nutritionally balanced, non-perishable food. They are not just given the food but tea/coffee, sometimes a meal and someone to talk/pray with. All food is donated by the public and sorted by volunteers. Last year the Foodbank Network fed over 60,000 people experiencing food poverty in the UK.

London currently has 14 Foodbanks up and running, with another 12 planning to open in the next few months. I will be working with the Regional Director for London in supporting current Foodbanks and establishing new ones. I am super excited to be working with an organisation tackling food poverty right on our doorstep. See www.trusselltrust.org for more info. 

Now the mathematically minded among you will have noted that I will only be working with Foodbank for four days. Fear not. On the fifth day I'll be working with the church I’ll attend in Bethnal Green. I'm not entirely sure what I'll be doing but I do know it will involve working for and with the local community. Possibly: kids work, youth work, teaching English to refugees or volunteering at my local Foodbank.

However, as an intern I don’t get paid, instead I get expenses. And although my expenses will be pretty generous for an intern (not quite parliamentary stylee though) it won’t quite cover my contribution to the house living expenses. I am short by £100 a month. This is where you come in...

If 10 people gave me £10 a month for one year I would be able to cover rent, food, bills and if I’m careful I might even have enough left over for some chocolate biscuits. Or, if 12 people gave me £100 I’d be covered for the year. You see where this is going?

Would you partner with me by donating a monthly sum/one-off donation of £5/10/15/30/45/60/75/100/whatever you find down the back of the sofa so that I don’t starve/freeze/become homeless over the next year? (Although that would be ironic). Anything and everything will be much appreciated. If this is something you could do then simply hit the Donate button on the right or send me a message/email/letter/leave a comment and I can send you my details.

Thanks guys.

With love from Rachel

P.S. If you happen to know any super rich people who might like to help me out then by all means, pass the message along. Thanks people.

P.P.S. This new blog  will chart my adventures in London. 


1 comment: